ILOILO – Governor Arthur D. Defensor Sr. provided P1.4-million worth of ballistic equipment to enhance the capability of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) of the Iloilo Provincial Police Office on Thursday (April 6).
Using its peace and order fund, a level three ballistic shield, tactical carrier vests and ballistic helmets were purchased for 18-member SWAT Team so they could be full battle gear if they would respond to any reports on kidnapping or bomb threats.
“This is a token of partnership to develop the competencies of our SWAT teams and to deliver quality service to the public,” said IPPO Director Senior Supt. Harold Tuzon during the turnover held at the governor’s office.
Tuzon said they will again request for additional support from the governor to equip the two SWAT teams with high powered firearms.
General Services Office Chief Aaron Raymundo said IPPO requested for P3-million financial assistance for SWAT capability last year but only P1.4-million was provided due to limited resource.
“Instead of purchasing all that has been requested, the governor asked them to select the items that must be given priority at that moment and they came up with this,” Raymundo explained.
The 2016 appropriations for SWAT capability development was only P1-million. To purchase the needed ballistic equipment, the governor put the P1-million allocation for reward for apprehension of high profile criminals to the program to make it P2-million.
Each of the level three ballistic shield costs the provincial government P35,000, while the tactical carrier vest and ballistic helmet were pegged at P60,000 and P18,000, respectively.
Defensor assured IPPO, particularly the SWAT team, that the provincial government will never fail to provide assistance and he encouraged them to serve with high sense of responsibility and integrity.
The provincial government this 2017 has about P200-million peace and order fund.