Jobs for 40 Iloilo scholars ok’d


ILOILO – The provincial government enlists 40 of its scholars in the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) giving them the chance to earn extra income during school breaks.

Those enrolled in state universities and colleges in Iloilo City will be placed in select offices at the Iloilo Provincial Capitol while those in the province will be assigned in their respective municipalities or in the nearest district hospitals.

They will do clerical work for 32 days and they will be paid P323 daily – 60% goes to their tuition fees and 40% will be paid through education vouchers by the Department of Labor and Employment.

Scholars enlisted in SPES will be oriented of their duties and responsibilities on April 22 in Casa Real de Iloilo by the Iloilo Public Employment Service Office .

Last year, 50 scholars benefited from SPES and they were able to work for 35 days with P298 daily payout.

Mandated under Republic Act 9547, SPES provides mechanism to help poor students pursue their education by encouraging their employment during summer or Christmas vacation.

It is open not only to college or vocational students but to all qualified high school students, drop-outs and interested employers.

The law regulates and provides incentives to employers wherein they will only pay 60% of the minimum wage while the remaining 40% will be paid by the government.

Interested employers can apply by signing a Pledge of Commitment and submitting it to DOLE regional office or in PESO.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s