ILOILO – Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. commits to provide financial assistance to municipalities that are having a hard time complying with Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000.
Defensor announced on Thursday that P100,000 aid will be granted within the first quarter of 2017 to each of the 26 municipalities to help them safely close and rehabilitate their open dumpsites.
In December of 2016, the local chief executive provided the same assistance to 17 municipalities, five of which were subject of investigation by Environmental Ombudsman for violation of the national law.
Defensor said almost all of the local government units in the province could not afford to put up their own sanitary landfill so they have been advised to resort to other measures or technology to address the problem on solid waste.
According to Senior Environmental Management Specialists Mitzi Peñaflorida of the Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office, safely closing or rehabilitating the open dumpsite is the most economical and convenient option at the moment.
“The governor is not amiable of having sanitary landfill because it’s too costly for the LGUs. We also found out that this may not be sustainable, particularly on the experience of Iloilo City,” she said.
Iloilo City’s sanitary landfill in Barangay Calajunan in Mandurriao is expected to last for ten years but one fourth of the land area is already filled last year lessening the project’s lifespan.
“Without segregation at source, the landfill may not last for long as expected. So the other way for us to help is to practice segregation at home and not to mix our waste during collection,” she said.
Peñaflorida added that the towns have to submit their safe closure and rehabilitation plan to ensure that the funds will be used for fencing, residual containment area, material recovery facility and soil covering of residual waste. (End)