ILOILO – Ten indigent patients, who are suffering from poor eye sight due to cataract, are the first to benefit from Governor Arthur Defensor Sr.’s blindness prevention program.
These patients, who are mostly senior citizens, will have a free eye surgery in Iloilo Provincial Hospital in Barangay Nanga, Pototan on August 25-26.
The program is held in partnership with Philippine Academy of Ophthalmology –Western Visayas Chapter, headed by President Cynthia Antonia Salcedo.
According to Dr. Mike Pador, ten ophthalmologists from the academy will perform the surgery during the program’s dry run.
“They identified 20 beneficiaries so far but only 10 will have their surgery this Thursday and Friday. Others will be informed of their schedule,” Pador said.
Defensor has allotted P1.5-million for the procurement of drugs and medicines and another P1.5-million for medical, dental and laboratory supplies for the blindness prevention program this year.
The provincial government will also spend P1.6-million for ophthalmic microscopes and P1.4-million for the procurement of slit lamp biomicroscope, keratometer, A-scan ultrasound and tonometer.
An additional P2-million is also requested for the maintenance and other operating expenses of program, according to Provincial Administrator Raul Banias.
“This program will initially benefit 100 indigent patients this year. But in the following years, the number of beneficiaries will gradually increase,” said Banias.
Interested individuals can inquire directly in Iloilo Provincial Hospital or they may get referral letters from their respective Municipal or City Social Welfare Officers.
Laboratory examination of potential beneficiaries in Iloilo Provincial Hospital is free of charge.