ILOILO — Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. will construct a check dam worth P1.37-million in Barangay Amerang, Maasin to resolve their problems with surface flooding and seasonal irrigation.
This project is funded by the Provincial Agriculture’s Office as part of its program to help farmers increase their yield using reliable supply of water from small reservoir in upland areas.
The project will be constructed by 168 Construction and Supply and it is expected to be completed within the first quarter of 2016.
Defensor has issued a notice of award to the contractor based in San Jose, Antique for having the lowest calculated bid.
A notice to proceed will then be issued within the month to start the construction.
Check dam is a small dam constructed across a waterway to counteract soil erosion by reducing water flow velocity.
It also forms a small reservoir wherein water can be used for vegetation and other purpose.
Meanwhile, similar projects are being constructed by the Department of Agriculture Region 6 in the province.
As its partner, the provincial government provides 10 percent counterpart fund for the following:
* Construction of Cordova Norte-Cordova Sur Check Dam in Tigbuan — P2,805,853.21
* Construction of Sto. Nino Check Dam in San Miguel — P4,324,638.03
* Construction of Bololacao Check Dam in Bgry. Bololacao New Lucena —P2,823,826.43
* Construction of Ligtos Diversion Canal in Leon — P1,441,492.30
* Counstruction of Foundation Check Dam in Brgy. Fundacion, Pototan — P2,822,362
* Construction of Durog Diversion Dam, Miagao — P2,740,818.20
* Construction of Madong Diversion Dam in Janiuay — P2,897,589.55
* Construction of Janipaan West Check Dam, Mina — P2,933,162
* Rehabilitation of Buwang Small Water Impounding Project (SWIP) in Lambunao — P1,334,373.68
* Rehabilitation of Aglosong SWIP in Concepcion — P2,908,726
* Rehabilitation of Batiti SWIP in Concepcion — P2,901,425.19
* Rehabilitation of Manguna Check Dam in Cabatuan — P1,879,998.01
*Rehabilitation of Salvacion Diversion Dam in Balasan — P2,939,914.57 JAN