Shelter aids for typhoon-affected families up for release


ILOILO – Thousands of families whose houses were damaged by Super Typhoon Yolanda were assured of financial assistance from the national government during the consultative meeting with Cabinet secretaries on Yolanda rehabilitation efforts held in Roxas City on November 12.

According to Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman, P30,000 will be given to those whose houses were totally damaged and P10,000 for those whose houses were partially damaged even if the houses have been repaired by the affected families.

“We should not prosecute those families who made steps to rebuild their houses prior to the release of aid from the government. For as long as their houses were damaged during the typhoon, they would definitely get the assistance,” Soliman said.

Those who already repaired their houses must only get a certification from the barangay and municipal government, she said.

In Iloilo, a total of 43,077 families can get P30,000 aid from DSWD’s emergency shelter assistance program and 86,004 families can get P10,000 before the end of January 2015.

Meanwhile, 43,987 typhoon-affected families whose houses were located in “no-build zones” would be relocated in safer grounds.

“Those in the danger zones, on the other hand, will get free housing unit in relocation sites identified by the local government unit,” she said.

Aside from this upcoming assistance, Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. reported that various non-government organizations have been helping the province in building better homes for the survivors.

The British Red Cross, for instance, has committed to provide P595.5-million for the reconstruction of new houses for 9,500 families in Ajuy and Balasan, he said.

The budget will also be used for livelihood, health sanitation, water systems, education and enhancement of disaster risk reduction capabilities of the towns.

More Funds Coming

Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II also announced that the province will get an additional P122-million assistance for the rehabilitation of barangay halls and day care centers in 21 typhoon-ravaged towns.

Roxas said they will release these funds if the local government units are finished with the liquidation of P78.8-million aid that they get from DILG earlier this year.

The P78.8-million aid is meant for the repair and rehabilitation of damaged civic centers, municipal halls and public markets in Calinog, Concepcion, Dumangas, San Enrique, Bingawan, Balasan, Banate, Batad,  Lambunao, Mina, San Rafael, Sara, Zarraga, Ajuy, Badiangan, Estancia, Lemery, San Dionisio and Passi City. #2014News

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s