BACOLOD CITY, May 31 (PNA) — Disqualified Abang Lingkod Party-list remained optimistic that can grab a seat in the House of Representatives after the Supreme Court (SC) stopped Commission on Elections from proclaiming the remaining partylist winners.
Abang Lingokod Secretary-General Ben Solilapsi said the temporary restraining order of SC against the poll body gave them hope knowing that they have been disqualified with finality.
“(The TRO) means the remaining five seats (are) still vacant (and) can never be filled in until such time that the SC resolves our disqualification case,” Solilapsi said.
The High Tribunal ordered the Comelec to comment within a “non-extendible” period of 10 days the petition of the Coalition of Associations of Senior Citizens in the Philippines Inc.
In issuing a temporary restraining order (TRO), the high court in a three-page resolution, directed the Comelec “to cease and desist from further proclaiming winners from among the party-list candidates.”
The TRO was authorized by Chief Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno upon the recommendation of the associate justice in charge of the petition, according to Clerk of Court Enriqueta Vidal. The court is in recess and will resume its en banc session next month.
The Comelec has so far proclaimed 38 party-list groups, which were entitled to 53 seats in the Lower House. The poll body was due to proclaim five more groups until the TRO.