BACOLOD CITY, May 7 (PNA) — The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) on Tuesday confirmed that about 10 out of 90 firearms seized at ancestral house of Pulupandan Mayor Magdaleno Peña last week were unlicensed.
The explosives seized also lack certifications from Philippine National Police Firearms, Explosive and Ordnance Division, said CIDG Deputy Director for Operations Senior Supt. Keith Ernard Singian.
But Peña maintained that none of the recovered firearms were registered in his name and that he no longer lived or owned the ancestral home where they were found.
He claimed the firearms and explosives seized belong to private individuals and those have their respective licenses.
Peña threatened CIDG that he will file counter charges against them if they charge him for illegal possession of firearms and explosives.
He also claimed that the two canisters of one-fourth pound of TNT high grade explosives were planted by the raiders.
But Singian said Peña was not there at the time of the raid so they could not inquest him.
As to the the mayor’s claims that the explosives were planted, Singian said “palusot na lang niya yun.”
“We have a video of the witness testifying about the presence of firearms inside the compound,” Singian said.
CIDG earlier filed criminal charges against 10 individuals they caught during the raid last week.
Obstruction of justice and illegal possession of firearms and explosives have been filed before Negros Occidental Provincial Prosecutor’s Office on May 3.
Included in the charges were PO2 Pedrito Lupo and SPO1 Vicente Castillo who were caught inside the compound of Peña’s residence carrying firearms while in civilian clothes. The two acts as security of the mayor.
Others were identified as Rey Asgar, Manny Rio, Joey Yunque, Nelvon Gange, Jay Gange, Deolito Morancil, Jimmy Castaños and Armando De la Paz.
The eight were mostly security guards and some were reportedly supporters of the mayor. (PNA)