BACOLOD CITY, March 6 (PNA) — The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) urged the public to comply with their policies to avoid the occurrence of fire following the estimated P19.4 million fire losses recorded in the metro last year.
FO3 Cornelio Silva of Bacolod City Fire Station said the estimated fire losses in 2012 was relatively lower compared to 2009 when P74.5 million worth of properties went up in smoke.
It was also lower compared to P23.2 million fire losses in 2011 but a little less higher compared to P11.2 million fire losses in 2010, he said.
Silva further disclosed that there were 274 fire incidents in the metro last year that left two civilians dead and four others injured.
Of the fire incidents recorded, Silva said most ironically occurred in March (52 cases) when they were all campaigning hard for the annual Fire Prevention Month.
Faulty electrical wires remain the leading cause of fire in the city followed by human negligence like unattended stove, candles, among others, according to the official.
Unlike other fire stations in the region, Silva said responding to fire calls in the metro is not a problem for they have enough logistics for their operations.
He mentioned that their station is maintaining more than 10 fire trucks including those from their sub-offices located in strategic places within the city.
There is also substantial number of fire trucks coming from volunteer fire brigades in case they need augmentation.
The only challenge in their operation, according to Silva, is the narrow roads in slums areas where most of the fire incidents occur.
Meanwhile, Fire Insp. Publio Ploteña said they are going around the city to conduct house to house inspections to determine which houses are fire hazards or what villages are fire-prone.
Ploteña said that houses with illegal electricity connections are told to remove their “jumper” connectors within a day or else, they will file charges against the power thieves. (PNA)